The modern market is full of alternatives for all kinds of products and services. Many of them have a pretty similar feature-set and level of quality. So how do customers make a choice when most characteristics appear identical? The answer is simple: it depends on your brand positioning.
The way current and potential buyers see your company has a great impact on whether they want to purchase your products or not. That’s why building a strong brand is essential for any business determined to achieve long-term success.
In this blog post, we’ll talk about brand positioning and how you can strengthen it with the help of video marketing and social media. We’ll also share an effective way to kill these two birds with one stone. But let’s review some basics first.
What is brand positioning?
Simply put, brand positioning is how a business strategically creates its public image and positions it in relation to competitors and values. It usually consists of the following three aspects:
Branding is the way a company wants to be seen by customers. In general, branding covers such attributes as brand strategy, statement, and messaging. Since it’s a quite theoretical category, it needs to be implemented properly to bring the expected results.
Brand behavior all about the brand’s actions. What exactly does a business do to bring a brand strategy to life? In practice, this covers all activities — no matter if they’re intentionally aimed at showing customers what a company stands for (e.g. content marketing) or are just the mundane operations.
For example, a makeup brand may position itself as cruelty-free and mention it in every single ad and video. But if it still tests on animals and people know that, its branding strategy will never work.
The hardest part of brand positioning is that it is always co-authored with customers, meaning that customer perception is a critical part of the whole process. Although it may sometimes seem chaotic and unpredictable, you can influence the way people think of your brand through branding and brand behavior.
If you feel that your target audience gets your messages wrong, it’s probably high time to review the key ideas behind them as well as analyze your company’s activity.
How to build strong brand positioning
Strong brand positioning doesn’t happen overnight. If you want to get positive results in the end, you must put a lot of effort into both the theoretical and practical parts of its creation. This applies to mature and new businesses equally. After all, remaining favorable in your customer’s eyes require continuous work.
Here are the main elements you should focus on to position your brand in a positive and powerful manner:
Brand positioning strategy
Before taking any steps, you have to develop a strategy that will establish a common vision of your brand for everyone in your company. In short, bring clarity to the direction your business is moving in. Besides general information like a product category, a brand strategy must contain answers to some core questions.
- What is the global purpose of your business besides the obvious commercial aspect of making money?
- What makes your brand unique and identifiable?
- How is it going to grow and develop?
Brand positioning statement
In short, a positioning statement is a brief declaration of the unique value a brand provides to its customers as compared to other players in the same market. To create a decent statement, you should do high-quality research on the competition and figure out the following components:
- Target customers. Who are you selling to?
- Target market. What category does your product or service belong to?
- Brand promise. What benefit does your product bring to customers that no one else offers them?
- Proof. What makes your brand promise credible?
For instance, a brand positioning statement of a company that sells sugar-free sweet snacks might look like this:
“Our company offers desserts and candies [target market] for customers who like sweet snacks even if they have diabetes [target audience]. All products are healthy [brand promise] because they contain zero sugar [proof].”
When it comes to digital marketing, many think about popular search engines, the number of clicks, web traffic, optimization of landing pages, lead generation, click through rates, conversions, etc. But marketing activities are also great tools a business can use to intentionally create a positive brand image in customers’ minds. At the end of the day, such campaigns lead to an increase in sales and profits as well. But the additional benefit is that they not only sell but also create a solid foundation for brand-customer relationships.
As you can see above, there are many brand marketing strategies you can utilize. But you should strongly consider the following:
- video marketing campaigns
- social media marketing
Since most internet users watch videos on Facebook, or YouTube, and hang out on social networks, these two methods work well for any company regardless of industry or product type. Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
Raising brand awareness with videos
Video marketing, brand videos, and online videos, in general, is a reliable way to bridge the gap between your business and its customers. It’s true that video production usually requires more time than the creation of other types of content. But it also brings much better ROI so the results are worth the effort. For instance, some internet video marketing statistics show that quality online videos may increase the conversion rate by 86 percent.
Here are a few tips on how you can improve your company’s brand positioning through video content:
- Create a video marketing strategy to better target your campaigns and establish consistent communication with customers
- Develop an engaging narrative that distinguishes you from your competitors to capture your customers’ attention and tell your unique story.
- Do not compromise on quality. No one will take you seriously if your video is poorly pixelated or has terrible sound quality.
- Use different video types to show not only your products but also your company, its mission, and goals. Let customers get to know your brand better!
For example, Native Union demonstrates a great brand positioning example with its cable ad. It introduces a product and its benefits while emphasizing on simplicity and convenience — the company’s main values.
Spreading brand messages via social media
Social media platforms make it possible for two-way, direct communication between brands and their target audience. Unfortunately, modern users are exposed to thousands of online ads. This saturation means that the trick is to use social networks to spread the right message to the right people in an interesting and compelling way. Here are some basic rules:
- Focus on the target platform depending on your audience, but maintain a brand presence on all relevant major platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, for example).
- Be consistent and make sure that everything you post complies with your brand strategy, tone, and voice.
- Respond to customers’ messages and comments. Even negative feedback may lead to positive results if you show that you care.
- Add some elegant humor. When people spend time on social media, they’re relaxed and expect some entertainment. If you don’t know where to start, follow the Netflix account on Twitter. It absolutely nails it.
Finally, you can make social media videos to combine the benefits of online videos with the advantages of social networks. But if you want to really stand out, you need to think outside the box.
Power your brand and increase sales with DUZY tv’s interactive videos
DUZY tv is an interactive video platform that helps brands significantly improve customer experience by allowing businesses to create engaging, shoppable videos in just a few clicks. When digital buyers watch these interactive videos, they don’t have to leave the video player to buy a featured product. After a person taps the shopping cart icon in the video, the checkout process completes right there in the video player.
But shoppable and interactive videos created with DUZY tv not only makes the lives of customers easier but they also bring online stores numerous advantages such as:
- Increasing the level of customer loyalty. People like the simplicity of the process and tend to come back if they’ve already had a positive shopping experience with a brand.
- Driving conversions and sales. With interactive videos, there is no gap between a customer’s desire to buy a product and completing the purchase. As a result, people are more likely to buy, decreasing drop-offs in the buyers’ journey.
- Strengthening brand positioning. The introduction of shoppable videos into your e-commerce platform shows that customer convenience is important to you. This improves the public image of your brand and makes your buyers “love you back”.
In addition, you can share DUZY tv’s shoppable videos on social media and across other marketing channels. This makes it a perfect tool for attracting new audiences and winning their attention.